Technology business sector
Advanced technology assets
The Knoxville-Oak Ridge region offers a vibrant technology environment to new and growing businesses.
Six areas identified as strengths of the area:
- High-performance computing
- National security
- Neutron science
- Advanced materials
- Biological systems
Regional assets include:
- High-bandwidth telecommunications infrastructure
- Knoxville is ranked among the nation's top 100 most-wired cities
- Digital Crossing, a world-class data center
Oak Ridge Complex
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), the nation's largest multidisciplinary research laboratory
- The world’s most powerful neutron source, the $1.4 billion Spallation Neutron Source, combines with the upgraded High Flux Isotope Reactor to create the world’s foremost center for neutron science research
- World-class computing: Kraken, one of the world's most powerful academic computers; Nautilus, a $10 million supercomputer used to interpret the data created by computers like Kraken; and Jaguar
- The Y-12 National Security Complex, which focuses on defense-related R&D and nuclear nonproliferation
- The Uranium Processing Facility is an integral par of Y-12's transformation efforts. It is a multi-year, multi-billion dollar project that will be a state-of-the-art, consolidated facility for enriched uranium operations.
- 55,000 college and university students, including over 10,000 in engineering, mathematics and science
- 5,000 PhDs
- 50,000 technical workers
University of Tennessee
The UT-ORNL Joint Institute for Advanced Materials is home to the:
- Tennessee Solar Institute, located at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and at ORNL focuses on basic research for improving solar product affordability and efficiency.
- UT’s Cherokee Farm Innovation Campus, where private and public research partners draw on established leadership in neutron research, materials science, computational science, and energy independence and sustainability and bring their resources to bear on the world’s toughest challenges.