Workforce and Training
Whether you need a highly skilled worker for your manufacturing facility, a well trained employee for your regional office or a talented technical professional, the diverse labor force of Knoxville’s 15-county region can meet your needs.
East Tennessee companies draw employees from a large geographical area (32 counties). The region's skilled labor force has been key in retaining companies as well as attracting new businesses.
An exceptionally strong work ethic, affordability, greater productivity, lower absenteeism, and a higher degree of company loyalty are major competitive advantages for companies located in the Knoxville region.
- Flexible, growing workforce of 570,000
- Easy accessibility, commuting patterns and a tradition of commuting throughout 15-county region
- More than 5,000 residents with Ph.D
- 50,000 technical professionals
- 45,000 employed in manufacturing
- 65,000 college students
- Diverse population
- Available skilled laborers
- Low unionization; right-to-work state
- Very low worker turnover and absenteeism rates
- Highly ranked training programs
- Competitive workers compensation rates
- Affordability and competitive wages
- Manufacturing workforce of 45,000 at costs 7% below the U.S. average